dhcpd: mac-based dynamic ip address picking. try4

Gilles Espinasse g.esp at free.fr
Wed Feb 16 07:21:06 UTC 2011

----- Original Message -----
From: "Vladislav Grishenko" <themiron at mail.ru>
To: "'Denys Vlasenko'" <vda.linux at googlemail.com>
Cc: <busybox at busybox.net>
Sent: Wednesday, February 16, 2011 12:43 AM
Subject: RE: dhcpd: mac-based dynamic ip address picking. try4

Hello,

> I propose to drop  lease_epoch thing.
Dropped, since there's temporary lease mechanism already

>> Well, before this patch it happens reliably (every time, and for every
laptop
>> user), and after it, it will happen to a small (~1%) proportion of users
whose
>> both MACs hash to the same starting IP. When they will come complaining
>> the mailing list, no one will be able to reproduce the problem. "But it
works for me!"
>> This is not a big improvement.
> 99% proportion is the really big improvement.
> Moreover, I bet users less than 10% uses wired and wireless interfaces in
> the same subnet, served with udhcpd.
> It makes small probability even smaller (~0,1%), so I suppose it's
> reasonable sacrifice in my real (soho routers) environment.

s/lease  expire/lease expire/

If there is a drawback to the option, particulary when the issue may be hard
hard to reproduce, it may be right to enlight the user in the help text
adding
Preferably use a different subnet for wired vs wireless as MAC hash may
collide.

Gilles