file moving problems

Ralf Friedl Ralf.Friedl at online.de
Fri Feb 11 23:34:24 UTC 2011

Denys Vlasenko wrote:
> On Thursday 10 February 2011 21:40, David Henderson wrote:
>
>> I can do a "cp -dpR !(b.txt) d" within bash using the full cp command to
>> move everything except b.txt into the d directory.
>>

> This doesn't work for me even in bash:
>
> $ echo cp -dpR !(b.txt) d
> bash: !: event not found
It would work in bash if you use it an a script or quote the "!" on the
command line to prevent history expansion, and (from man bash):
  If the extglob shell option is enabled using the shopt builtin,
several extended pattern  matching operators are recognized...

But it is a very obscure feature, and nobody ever claimed that ash
supports all features of bash.

Ralf