wtmp utmp - bit confused

David Collier from_busybox_maillist at dexdyne.com
Tue Feb 8 11:41:00 UTC 2011

>  Hallo David!
>
> > 1. is there an "official position" of the use of these files
> > 2. what else in busybox might use them?
> A simple question ahead ... do you need that wtmp entries? ... else
> just
> delete that file ... only a suggestion!

Harald...

The S50 script deliberately creates it. I assumed it is being created in
the ftp startup script because it's needed for the ftp util to run.
Further reading suggests it works on the basis of "if the file is there,
I'll log to it"

As you suggested I have commented out the line, and the program still
runs. Ta.

The source of my confusion is that someone who built this system has
added proftpd to the basic busybox facilities, and for a moment I didn't
realise I was dealing with something non-busybox. So it uses the file,
but busybox ( providing login, getty etc ) doesn't.

TVM

D.