Removing busybox [was Fwd: busybox]

Stuart Longland redhatter at gentoo.org
Wed Feb 2 00:37:44 UTC 2011

On 02/02/11 10:10, Denys Vlasenko wrote:
> Unsure what to do with this email...
> but please do not send him humorous suggestions,
> I'm afraid he might take them seriously!
>
> Please send some info. on how completely remove busybox from my machine. My whole system was hacked by a red hat hacker and we can not continue busy in this manner. I've been all through your F&Q and Google forums and found nothing on how to remove it. Please get back to me as soon as possible.                          Thank Chris

Okay, how to remove Busybox;

As root:
	# rm -f /bin/busybox

Some issues I might bring to your attention :-

1. If your system was compromised than I'd suggest one single binary is
the least of your worries.  I recommend a re-load of the affected system
and a restore from clean and/or sanitised backups.

2. What do you mean by "red hat hacker"?

I'm familiar with the term "white hat" and "black hat" in relation to
crackers, differentiating those who crack systems to discover and patch
vulnerabilities, versus those who just crack systems to cause mayhem.

Are you confusing the terms "hacker" and "cracker"?  One is someone who
hacks together something to make things work.  The other tries to break
(crack) things.  They are not synonymous terms.

(i.e. I consider myself a software and hardware hacker, but I have not
attempted to break into a network since high school.)

What does "red hat" mean in this context, surely not an employee of Red
Hat Software?  By the sounds of things you've been watching too many movies.

Regards,
--
Stuart Longland (aka Redhatter, VK4MSL)      .'''.
Gentoo Linux/MIPS Cobalt and Docs Developer  '.'` :

I haven't lost my mind...
  ...it's backed up on a tape somewhere.