httpd.conf options for forcing default mime-type and switch mime-type extensions case sensitivity

walter harms wharms at bfs.de
Sun Dec 4 21:22:27 UTC 2011

Hi Xeros,
the code looks like this

  /* If not found, default is "application/octet-stream" */
        found_mime_type = "application/octet-stream";
        suffix = strrchr(url, '.');
        if (suffix) {
                static const char suffixTable[] ALIGN1 =
                        /* Shorter suffix must be first:
                         * ".html.htm" will fail for ".htm"
                         */
                        ".txt.h.c.cc.cpp\0" "text/plain\0"
                        /* .htm line must be after .h line */
                        ".htm.html\0" "text/html\0"
                        ".jpg.jpeg\0" "image/jpeg\0"
                        ".gif\0"      "image/gif\0"
                        ".png\0"      "image/png\0"
                        /* .css line must be after .c line */
                        ".css\0"      "text/css\0"
                        ".wav\0"      "audio/wav\0"
                        ".avi\0"      "video/x-msvideo\0"
                        ".qt.mov\0"   "video/quicktime\0"
                        ".mpe.mpeg\0" "video/mpeg\0"
                        ".mid.midi\0" "audio/midi\0"
                        ".mp3\0"      "audio/mpeg\0"
#if 0  /* unpopular */
                        ".au\0"       "audio/basic\0"
                        ".pac\0"      "application/x-ns-proxy-autoconfig\0"
                        ".vrml.wrl\0" "model/vrml\0"
#endif
                        /* compiler adds another "\0" here */
                ;
                Htaccess *cur;

the most easy way for you is to change then application/octet-stream above.
using application/octet-stream is default for any mime aware daemon i know,
so i do not think that an additional option will be useful.
I could see this as a new config option so you can set a new "default" for
broken applications.

That takes us the the right way .. complain about the missing application/octet-stream
handling by your supplier. Most likely he is not aware of it.

re,
 wh