1.19.0 is released

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Sun Aug 14 18:21:39 UTC 2011

On 08/13/2011 05:00 PM, Tito wrote:
> On Saturday 13 August 2011 22:42:59 Rob Landley wrote:
>> On 08/13/2011 02:45 AM, Denys Vlasenko wrote:
>>> Rob,
>>> 'less: optionally query terminal size via "ESC [ 6 n". Closes 2659'
>>> item is the thing you asked for sometime ago. It is finally done.
>>
>> Yay!
>>
>> I'll drop it into Aboriginal and try to get a new set of binaries
>> staticaly linked against uClibc up this weekend.
>>
>> I also note that I've got a half-dozen todo items queued up for the
>> FAQ.  (Which has been neglected enough to acquire broken links that say
>> "fixme".)
>>
>> For example, the prebuilt armv5l binary works just fine on android
>> systems, and the full setup dance on android is something like:
>>
>> mkdir /busybox
>> cd /busybox
>> wget http;//busybox.net/downloads/binaries/latest/busybox-armv5l -O busybox
>> chmod 755 busybox
>> for i in $(busybox --list); do ln -s busybox $i; done
>> /busybox/busybox ash
>> PATH=/busybox:$PATH
>>
>> And lo, you have a busybox shell on an arbitrary android system with
>> the full busybox tools in your $PATH.  (You may need to use adb instead
>> of wget to copy the busybox binary on there, but eh.)
>>
>> Anyway, there really should be some kinda FAQ about that.
>>
>> Rob
> Hi,
> I suggest to add also a couple of linux specific files:
>
> 	/etc/passwd;
> 	/etc/shadow;
> 	/etc/group;
> 	/etc/gshadow;
> 	/etc/shells;
> 	/etc/profile;
>
> The uids and gids for passwd/shadow/group/gshadow
> are hardcoded in private/android_filesystem_config.h.
> To make loginutils play nice with the android security
> model you have to set  FIRST_SYSTEM_ID and LAST_SYSTEM_ID
> as explained in that header and also use USE_BB_PWD_GRP.
> This in the end allows to run a statically built dropbear server to
> ssh as root with password protection into your android device or
> to use bb's su in a terminal emulator.

Aboriginal Linux has statically built dropbear binaries, but they're are at:

  http://landley.net/aboriginal/downloads/binaries/extras/

I only mirrored the busybox binaries on busybox.net.

Dropbear does require a bit of setup, the /etc/passwd and group files
plus a home dir for the user that exists for you to put the .ssh subdir
in. (I've been meaning to write a FAQ entry about that for Aboriginal
Linux.  I need a month to devote just to documentation...)

For the moment, I'm just trying to get busybox 0.19.0 to build against
linux-3.0, which has broken UBI headers...