getting busybox DNS (ping, nslookup) to work on android

Dan Fandrich dan at coneharvesters.com
Wed Apr 13 20:12:05 UTC 2011

On Wed, Apr 13, 2011 at 03:59:32PM -0400, rouble wrote:
> I have compiled busybox as a static binary for an android system.
>
> Most things work great, but I can not get any of the DNS related
> applets (nslookup, ping, traceroute etc) to work for domain names.
> They work fine for IP addresses. I think what is happening is that
> busybox is looking for some specific libc libraries that are missing -
> since android uses bionic instead of libc.
>
> Does anyone know of a way to get this to work?

You don't say which libc you used when you statically linked Busybox. If you
used bionic, then it should just work. If you used glibc, then you've
probably hit that well-known broken-by-design feature such that the DNS
functions can't be statically linked and must be available in a dynamic
library at run-time.  You could either make those libs available, or link
against another libc.

>>> Dan