getting busybox DNS (ping, nslookup) to work on android

rouble r.ouble at gmail.com
Wed Apr 13 19:59:32 UTC 2011

BB Gurus,

I have compiled busybox as a static binary for an android system.

Most things work great, but I can not get any of the DNS related
applets (nslookup, ping, traceroute etc) to work for domain names.
They work fine for IP addresses. I think what is happening is that
busybox is looking for some specific libc libraries that are missing -
since android uses bionic instead of libc.

Does anyone know of a way to get this to work?

Here is what happens on the command line:
# strace -tt -s99 -oLOG nslookup www.google.com
Server:    0.0.0.0
Address 1: 0.0.0.0

nslookup: can't resolve 'www.google.com'

I can provide detailed logs if required.

tia,
rouble