Failing to boot busybox inside initramfs

Harald Becker ralda at gmx.de
Wed Apr 6 16:28:03 UTC 2011

 Hallo Wolfgang!

>> ./bin/busybox is a correct symlink but fails on initramfs boot (on some
>> kernels at least). I know it is a bug, but with the symlink
>> "/bin/busybox" the boot should succeed.
> ok, did not stumble over this yet, probably because I am more a fan of
> absolute paths anyways. ;-)

Thats me too. I do know that only from a failure of a friend (I had to
solve).

> I was more concerned about the ".." portion in the initial listing.

../bin/busybox is a correct symlink, as . and .. in the root directory
always point to the root directory itself. But initramfs boot fails,
with exactly those error messages (seen on x86, x86_64 and ARM
architectures).

--
Harald