Bugs in defconfig /bin/sh

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Thu Sep 30 19:46:13 UTC 2010

On Thursday 30 September 2010 13:14:37 Denys Vlasenko wrote:
> On Thursday 30 September 2010 02:49, Rob Landley wrote:
> > Bug #1: defconfig defaults to ash, but I thought hush was the future bash
> > replacement, recipient of future development work, and ash was a dead
> > end.
>
> No (at least not yet). ash is still the default shell.

Understood, but I thought the strategy going forward was to expand hush into
both a viable bash replacement and the one true busybox shell, not to try to
scale ash up (or down) or to make it replace the other busybox shells.

Changing the default to "the one with a future" seems like a reasonable first
step.  (Making {file,file} curly bracket support work would be darn nice too,
that's the biggest thing I miss.  You can't even follow the Linux From Scratch
build instructions without that...)

> > Bug #2: if you "exec" a program, ash doesn't rewrite argv[0] to have the
> > new executable name, but keeps the name of the previous shell.
> >
> > This is an issue when I try to do a gawk wrapper like so:
> >
> >   #!/bin/sh
> >
> >   exec /bin/awk "$@"
> >
> > The result is:
> >
> >   busybox: gawk: applet not found.
>
> I can't reproduce this.

Yeah, it was an error at my end.  My bad.

GPLv3: as worthy a successor as The Phantom Menace, as timely as Duke Nukem
Forever, and as welcome as New Coke.