insmod not working by module name in Linux 2.4.30 / MIPS

RiCH Busybox busybox at richud.com
Mon Sep 27 20:40:05 UTC 2010

On Mon, 2010-09-27 at 07:49 +1000, Stuart Longland wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 26, 2010 at 10:03:50PM +0100, RiCH Busybox wrote:
> > Hi,
> >

> > I am trying to upgrade Busybox from busybox-1.1.0.5VT to 1.17.2 on a
> > Belkin F5D8235 v1 router. (Cross compiling under ubuntu x64 with
> > supplied toolchain , which works all fine using supplied old busybox
> > etc.)
> >
> > I am currently stuck because insmod won't load from the module name
> > alone, although it is fine pointing it to the module with full path -
> > the problem being loading via name is hard coded in a sysinit binary so
> > I need loading via name to work :)
> >
> > Here is sample output. (USB storage module was allready loaded with full
> > path in sysinit, the only one that had a full path specified)
>
> > / # lsmod
> > / # insmod rtl
> > insmod: can't read 'rtl': No such file or directory
> > / # insmod  /lib/modules/2.4.30/kernel/drivers/usb/storage/usb-storage.o
> > insmod: can't insert
> > '/lib/modules/2.4.30/kernel/drivers/usb/storage/usb-storage.o': unknown
> > symbol in module or invalid parameter
> > / # modinfo rtl
> > filename:       /lib/modules/2.4.30/kernel/drivers/net/rtl8366/rtl.o
> > license:        GPL
> > / #
>
> Have you perhaps tried 'modprobe'?  My understanding is that insmod
> always did require the full path (from memory this has been the case
> since modutils days in kernel 2.0), and that 'modprobe' was the tool if
> you just wanted to recall a module by name rather than by file.

Hi Stuart, thanks for your reply

modprobe works fine loading/unloading, using just the module name
modinfo works fine just using module name
rmmod works fine just using module name
insmod doesn't work using the module name (however it does in busybox <=
1.0.1)

I admit to knowing very little about it, but seems if rmmod can cope
with module name then insmod should also be able to?

Unfortunately as it did work, this firmware has been built assuming it
does and as I said its hard coded into a binary (sysinit)  ...
Even if technically insmod shouldnt work is there a way it can be easily
patched to be backwards compatible?

Regards