Build doesn't fail if od not installed

walter harms wharms at bfs.de
Thu Sep 16 12:52:02 UTC 2010

Harald Becker schrieb:
>  Hi!
>> NTL the main problem here is that the missing "od" is detected but the script
>> is continuing only to fail otherwise.
> True. That's the topic, I'm not complaining about if od is required or
> not. Just that the build succeeded and didn't just abort at that point,
> with a possible command not found message from make/shell. I don't
> expect any error handling. Just abort and say failure ... and not
> success ... resulting in confusion, when busybox fails with a
> segmentation fault when just doing a xxx --help ... which let to hours
> of searching for what has gone wrong :-(

I just want to clear that there are two problems.

1. check that every think is there what is need to compile bb
2. what to do if something is found missing

my idea is to have a script like

which --version >/dev/null || { echo "i need which" ; exit ; }
for CMD in od
do
 which $CMD || { echo "i need $CMD" ; exit ; }
done

this can be executed manually and its done. I guess that is what denis had
in mind.

re,
 wh