Standalone network block device client now working. :)

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Mon Sep 13 00:51:16 UTC 2010

Finally got some time to debug this, and it now actually works.

  nbd 1.2.3.4 9876 /dev/nbd0
  mount /dev/nbd0 /blah

It's not busyboxified at all (standalone, no external dependencies).  If a
server exports multiple NBDs it only supports selecting them by port number
(there's an extention to select them by name; I didn't need it so didn't
implement it).

Its command line option parsing is somewhere between "pathetic" and
"nonexistent", so there's no if() around the call to daemon() and such, and
the 4k block size is hardwired (which means with an MTU of 1500 the packets
will be split, but just about all modern filesystems are using a 4k block size
anyway and gigabit ethernet with a 1500 byte mtu is silly).

But it Worked For Me.

Denys: you wanna busyboxify it, or wait for me to get around to it now that my
immediate need for something working is satisfied? :)

Does anybody care deeply about nbd-server?

Rob

P.S. My motivation for writing this is documented at
http://landley.net/notes-2010.html#26-08-2010 and yes, it really was easier
for me to write a new one than try to configure and build the old one from
source.  It's THAT pointlessly overcomplicated.  They autoconfed it within an
inch of its life, for NO REASON...  Sigh.
--
GPLv3: as worthy a successor as The Phantom Menace, as timely as Duke Nukem
Forever, and as welcome as New Coke.