ext2 mounted as vfat

Sergey Naumov sknaumov at gmail.com
Wed Sep 1 20:20:57 UTC 2010

> How did you change the filesystem type?
first of all I prepared image with dd for readonly part of my system -
grub and boot + root partitions.
Then I partitionize it with sfdisk for 4 partitions (so the 3rd and
4th partitions exceed the image size for that time).

> Which type is the partition marked in the partition table
I used 0x06 for FAT 16, 0x0b for FAT 32 and 0x83 for ext2 and ext3.
Then I executed mkfs.ext2 for boot and root partitions (with no
options) and installed GRUB.
After installation of system files to root and boot partitions I
copied image to Compact Flash, so now there is space for 3rd and 4th
partitions.

> How did you create the ext2 filesystem?
Then I formatted 3-rd and 4-th partitions with mkfs.vfat -F 16 (3rd)
and mkfs.vfat -F 32 (4th) for the first time, and with mkfs.ext2 (3rd
and 4th) for the second one.
So all partitions are well-prepared and correctly mounted on host
(both fat and ext2 cases).

> which kernel versions do you use busybox system/upstream?
I used 2.6.26 for host and 2.6.32.9 for embedded system builded with
buildroot 2010.02 for i386 AMD Geode.

Busybox correctly mounts ext2 for 1st and 2nd partitions (which were
formatted at the image created with dd if=/dev/zero of=imgname
bs=...), but cant mount 3rd and 4th partitions as ext2 partitions.

I can mount them only after formatting with mkfs.ext2 applet of
busybox, executed at the embedded system.

I can suppose that busybox's ext2 is restricted ext2 in terms of some
options, but I used no options at all.