calling reboot in script does nothing

Peter Scheie peter.scheie at visionshareinc.com
Tue Oct 26 21:44:48 UTC 2010

I'm using busybox 1.17.2 in an initramfs.  In my init script (/init) if
a certain test fails, it calls reboot.  But when it does, nothing
happens.  The init script ends with a prompt, and if I manually call
reboot, it works.  Here's the relevant code:

 read -p "Are you ABSOLUTELY sure you want to do this?  Type 'yes to
preceed: " partyes
    if [ "$partyes" != "yes" ]; then
        INFO "Partitioning cancelled."
        read -s -n1 -p "Press any key to reboot..."
        /sbin/reboot
        read -s -n1 -p "Press any key to reboot..."
    fi

(The read line is all one line; Evolution wrapped it.)  I call a prompt
just before the reboot; here I added one after to try to debug the
problem.  When run, I just get a "Press any key" prompt, and it waits;
and then when I press a key, I get the second "Press any key".  Calling
reboot, with or without the path, does nothing.

Any idea why reboot doesn't seem to want to work within my script?
Thanks.

Peter