manipulating/testing file times.

David Collier from_busybox_maillist at dexdyne.com
Mon Nov 29 17:08:00 UTC 2010

> Pity that BB cron doesn't seem to support "at" jobs.  It combines
> the entire system's array of "little sleeps" into one.

mmmmm that would be nice - though it's still useful during debugging to
be able to peer at the file times - if I used "job at" I haven't looked
into how to get a list of future 'pending events'.

> Your approach sounds like polling.  How often do you wake
> something up to stat your file?  I hate polling.

I'm just running a shepherd shell-script process - it does "sleep 10" -
that's fast enough to keep my balls in the air.

I hate polling too, but I feel the need to run shepherd and watchdog
functions, and that is inherently a sort of polling.

I'm trying to assure my colleagues I can set up a system which will do a
3-year uptime, communicating home over a VPN over GPRS, as fall-back for
an ADSL line, and respond resiliently to things like udhcpc , OpenVPN PPP
collapsing for whatever reason. Of course other things could collapse,
but what the hey.

> Maybe your system should deploy a more full-featured cron?

I hadn't thought of myself as knowledgeable enough for stuff like that ,
yet. Still learning.

TVM

David