Adding bash support to hush: the todo list.

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Wed May 19 04:16:36 UTC 2010

On Monday 17 May 2010 05:20:28 Bernd Petrovitsch wrote:
> On Son, 2010-05-16 at 19:49 -0500, Rob Landley wrote:
> > So Gentoo's portage requires bash (not just bash, but bash 3.x), and I'm
> > trying to get it to work with busybox.  At least the following would need
> > to be done to get hush to act as something like a bash replacement:
>
> [...]
>
> > 4) Accept $[1+2] as a synonym for $((1+2))
>
> "$(( ... ))" is at least mentioned in
> http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009695399/utilities/xcu_chap02.html#tag
>_02 (whereas "$[ ... ]"). So it's probably easier, better and
> space-preserving to change that in the scripts.
>
> 	Bernd

It's more space-preserving to rewrite the scripts in C.  Your point?

"These are things that bash does that actually get used in real scripts".  Not
a complete list, but these are fairly low-hanging fruit.  Smallish self-
contained features, which can be collectively grouped under a
CONFIG_BASH_EXTENSIONS or some such.