Logging serial port data to file

Michael Hagedorn michael at hagedorn.co.nz
Wed Mar 24 16:16:59 UTC 2010

Hi
I am quite new to the busybox and need some help. I am trying to modify
an embedded system on a NAS based on a STR8100 series hardware platform.
I have the SDK. Busybox is installed on it and I can build it successfully.

I want to log data arriving on the serial port (I am using a USB to
serial device) to a file.
Ideally with time stamps. I have data sets arriving at the serial port
with line returns.
Ideally I would like to see a each line time stamped and added to a file.

Is there a way that I can use syslogd for this. I tried

syslogd -s 0 -O /usb/BigDrive/syslog.log
logger -t "SerialPort" "a message"

This works fine.

If I enter
cat /dev/ttyUSB0 | logger -t "SerialPort"
It works to some degree. The message lines are truncated, therefore I am
missing part of the data.

Or is there a much simpler way to archive my goal (essentially a serial
port data logger).

Regards