popmail in busybox

Vladimir Dronnikov dronnikov at gmail.com
Wed Mar 10 09:00:34 UTC 2010

> # popmaildir -k /var/spool/mail -- nc pop.gobizmail.com 110
> User:
> Password:
> popmaildir: can't open 'tmp/946685349380000.1114.(none)': No such file
> or directory
> popmaildir: helper killed by signal 15
> #
>
> Here, I enter the username and password at the prompt  and then throws
> the error message. I don't understand where the SIGTERM is coming from.
>

> any idea why this kind of thing happens?

This means popmaildir have connected, authenticated and tried to fetch
the first message to temporary location
tmp/946685349380000.1114.(none) (here '(none)' stands for your
hostname, which is not good:). Since you have no 'tmp' subdir in your
/var/spool/mail, temporary file cannot be created, and popmaildir
honestly fails, thus killing the helper to not leave zombies.

All that happens because you didn't provide right Maildir structure,
which _is_ the assumption of pop*maildir* :)

Maildir should contain tmp,cur,new subdirectories. Create them under
your /var/spool/mail and try again.

> Some info about my environment might be useful to help me better.
> So, I am using a board which has ARC architecture based processor (this
> arch does not comply with any of the well known i386/ARM/MIPS etc).
>
> This board we bring up with Linux Kernel 2.6.19 & run busybox for all
> the general linux utilities.

What does "cat /proc/cpuinfo" give?

-- Vladimir