popmail in busybox

Vladimir Dronnikov dronnikov at gmail.com
Wed Mar 10 07:20:52 UTC 2010

> I checked the netcat behaviour for my pop server, this is what I get:
>
> # nc pop.gobizmail.com 110
> +OK POP3 TIMS(5.40.2008012515) server ready.
> <14451.1268202887 at sme.or.kr>

OK. Try to issue USER <your-username>. What is the answer?

> is this correct .. sorry, I don't have the strace yet .
>
> By the way, is there any document that explains what is
> "connection helper" expected with the "popmaildir" .

A helper is responsible for establishing connection to the server.
Think of, e.g., @gmail.com, which requires secure (TLS) connection,
and SSL libraries are out of busybox scope. Think of various POP3
flavors which require or not some authentication. To hide these
peculiarities, we introduce connection helpers (the same
considerations apply to sendmail). Once the helper established the
connection, popmaildir (sendmail) just issues commands to stdout, and
reads responses from stdin, as if no network involved.

-- Vladimir