ash , exporting env vars

beebee at piments.com beebee at piments.com
Mon Jul 5 22:07:25 UTC 2010

On 07/05/10 21:09, Loïc Grenié wrote:
> 00,15,30,45 * * * * env DELAY=16 gnuplot test.gnu
>
>     should solve your environment problem. As for the "cron not starting"
>    I don't know.
>
>          Hope this helps,
>
>                Loïc

Thanks Loïc,  that's certainly what I was needing .

I'd tried  DELAY=16 as would work in a shell since cron claims to run
things in the default shell. Seems there's more to it than that.

Where is that syntax documented. I'd refered to vixiecron man pages
installed on my development machine and it says environment variables
"can be set" but does not specify the need to a special syntax or use of
a "crond command" which seems to be what you are doing here.

Also what is the time lag on crond rereading the crontabs files ?

Std crond reads every time and so no special action is needed after
updating a crontab. This does not seem to be the case with BB crond.

Indeed console output now shows I am getting both the "env DELAY=16 "
crontab and the original without a delay which is now commented out with
a #.

It seems it has read in the new line but not dropped the old one that is
not longer in crontabs.

Is this expected behaviour ?

thx.