Bug in install applet

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Tue Feb 23 22:32:18 UTC 2010

On Monday 22 February 2010 03:32:25 Mikhail Gusarov wrote:
> Twas brillig at 10:23:59 22.02.2010 UTC+01 when vda.linux at googlemail.com did
gyre and gimble:
>  >> Use multiarch binutils.
>
>  DV> Do you have an URL where I can learn about multiarch binutils?
>
> Those are just plain old binutils configured with many targets via
> --enable-targets.

I.E. make sure you aren't using the standard unprefixed one your host toolchain
that came with the distro has installed in your $PATH.  But while you're
swapping it out, you might as well build one that supports more than you're
specifically interested in for this target, since this never comes up with
"gcc" or "ld" or similar, those all autodetect the target in question...

Actually what I really want is a gdb built that way, so I can set architecture
and debug gdbserver or qemu -s stuff without having to build sparc-gdb and
similar on the host.  Haven't figured out how to do that yet.  (Possibly
they've added the capability since gdb 6.6, but since that was the last GPLv2
release I really don't care what later versions under a Sun CDDL wannabe
license do since I'm never distributing binaries of them.)

> And it is actually able to strip foreign binaries.

The powerpc-strip I built is also able to strip powerpc binaries.  But the
point is that the one that came with _ubuntu_ can't, and my host toolchain was
supplied by my distro.  You suggest modifying the host toolchain to make up
for yet another random cross compiling gotcha.  What that's certainly an
approach, there's no shortage of those gotchas, which is why I bootstrap a
native environment and then compile under emulation when possible.

I believe I poked the package I hit this in over a year ago, and it calls a
properly prefixed strip as a separate step now.  It was just an FYI.