New subscription, first test

Harald Becker ralda at gmx.de
Thu Feb 18 06:41:55 UTC 2010

Hi Folks!

I am new to Busybox development and have just subscribed to this mailing
list. Before I'm going to dig into the deep this is a first message to
see if everything works fine (especially my mail filters). So any
response is welcome.

Currently I want to work at/provide patches for the following topics:

- loadfont/setfont: Support for PSF2 console fonts. Currently only PSF1
fonts are supported, which disables the usage of larger or smaller
console fonts (with width other than 8 pixels) like Terminus 20x10 or
24x12. [Status: PSF2 works currently on my system BB 1.16.0, needs only
some work to allow selectively enable/disable the extended font support
via configuration menu]

- beep: Alternate and extended command syntax to have the ability to
play several tones more easily including phaser style effects. The
configuration menu allows selection of the old or new style and enables
or disables the phaser effect [Status: Works, needs only generation of
patch for current snapshot]

- ipcalc (and others): There are several applets that accept IP
addresses as arguments. Some applets (like ipcalc) only accept numerical
addresses and don't lookup the host address. To add this lookup support,
I suggest the creation of a libbb function which converts and optionally
looks up the address (gethostbyname). All applets should use this
library function to get the IP address. Optionally the function can
handle IPv6 addresses. A configuration menu option could enable or
disable the lookup feature globally. [Status: Request for discussion, I
am willing to do the work and provide patches, including other applets]

Any comments?

Tschau
   Harald