Some progress with httpd on Busybox 1.1.3

Denys Vlasenko vda.linux at googlemail.com
Thu Feb 11 12:42:14 UTC 2010

On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 5:41 AM, Pete Helgren <Pete at valadd.com> wrote:
> A little bit of success but I still don't think I have things properly
> configured.
>
> Did the following:
>
> created a folder /www and created an index.html file in the folder.  I also
> created an httpd.conf file but it has no *uncommented* entries at the
> moment.
> Note: Most of the information came from this thread:
> http://lists.busybox.net/pipermail/busybox/2004-November/013050.html
>
> I invoke httpd with this command:
>
> /bin/busybox httpd -c /etc/httpd.conf -h /www
>
> Eventually it returns:
>
> HTTP/1.0 408 Request Timeout
> Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2010 20:30:51 GMT
> Connection: close
>
> <HEAD><TITLE>408 Request Timeout</TITLE></HEAD>
> <BODY><H1>408 Request Timeout</H1>
> No request appeared within a reasonable time period.
> </BODY>
>
> So *something* is going on but I can't get a page to display using the
> browser.  It could be a permissions issue with the files I ftp'ed for the
> index.htm and httpd.conf but I am not sure.

Looks like FEATURE_HTTPD_USAGE_FROM_INETD_ONLY=y in your build.
In this case, running httpd from command line isn't useful.

> 1.Entries needed in inetd.conf to properly start the http daemon
> automatically
> 2.How to change the port configuration (I assume I would have to set a value
> in httpd.conf.

If you have inetd running, add this line to your inetd.conf,
and reboot:

http stream tcp nowait root /bin/busybox httpd -c /etc/httpd.conf -h /www

then try connecting to port 80 with e.g. web browser.
--
vda