udhcpc causes system rebooting

Gilles Espinasse g.esp at free.fr
Thu Feb 4 09:39:16 UTC 2010

----- Mail Original -----
Selon walter harms <wharms at bfs.de>:

> Piotr Piwko schrieb:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I try to assign the IP address to the eth0 interfaces by following command
> > executed in /etc/init.d/rcS (udhcpc.script is in attachment):
> >
> > udhcpc -i eth0 -s /bin/udhcpc.script
> >
> > Every time the IP address is obtained correctly, but sometimes (on average
> > once every three attempts) it causes system rebooting after few seconds
> > from console invocation.
> >
> > I'm pretty sure that this problem is related with udhcpc because if I
> > comment this line in my rcS script, everything is ok.

If you manually set the interface, does the issue still happen?

> > I use BusyBox v1.13.3 with Linux 2.6.29.4 kernel.
> >
> > Is it a known issue? Can you give any hint how to get the IP address from
> > DHCP server and avoid system rebooting?
> >
> > Thank you in advance for your engagement,
> >

> thx for your bug report.
> Can you reproduce this behavier with a more recent version of busybox ?
> the changes are high that the bug (if its a bug) is already fixed.
>
> re,
>  wh

To my light understanding, a bug in user space (busybox) would not make the
machine reboot.
Wich driver the net interface use?

You should try a more recent kernel (2.6.29.6 at least or the last kernel in a
long-term maintainted branch like 2.6.27.45 or 2.6.32.7)

Gilles