udhcpc question

Denys Vlasenko vda.linux at googlemail.com
Wed Dec 22 04:50:51 UTC 2010

On Monday 20 December 2010 20:07, Christopher Barry wrote:
> All,
>
> Anyone know the correct incantation to release an ip on an interface
> with udhcpc? I can't seem to make it work for some reason.
> Running BB 1.16.1

What do you mean by "release IP"?

$ udhcpc --help
BusyBox v1.18.0 (2010-11-23 00:11:12 CET) multi-call binary.

Usage: udhcpc [-fbnqvoCR] [-i IFACE] [-r IP] [-s PROG] [-p PIDFILE]
        [-H HOSTNAME] [-V VENDOR] [-x OPT:VAL]... [-O OPT]...

        -i,--interface IFACE    Interface to use (default eth0)
        -p,--pidfile FILE       Create pidfile
        -s,--script PROG        Run PROG at DHCP events (default /usr/share/udhcpc/default.script)
        -t,--retries N          Send up to N discover packets
        -T,--timeout N          Pause between packets (default 3 seconds)
        -A,--tryagain N         Wait N seconds after failure (default 20)
        -f,--foreground         Run in foreground
        -b,--background         Background if lease is not obtained
        -n,--now                Exit if lease is not obtained
        -q,--quit               Exit after obtaining lease
        -R,--release            Release IP on exit
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ this?
        -S,--syslog             Log to syslog too
        -a,--arping             Use arping to validate offered address
        -O,--request-option OPT Request option OPT from server (cumulative)
        -o,--no-default-options Don't request any options (unless -O is given)
        -r,--request IP         Request this IP address
        -x OPT:VAL              Include option OPT in sent packets (cumulative)
                                Examples of string, numeric, and hex byte opts:
                                -x hostname:bbox - option 12
                                -x lease:3600 - option 51 (lease time)
                                -x 0x3d:0100BEEFC0FFEE - option 61 (client id)
        -F,--fqdn NAME          Ask server to update DNS mapping for NAME
        -H,-h,--hostname NAME   Send NAME as client hostname (default none)
        -V,--vendorclass VENDOR Vendor identifier (default 'udhcp VERSION')
        -C,--clientid-none      Don't send MAC as client identifier
        -v                      Verbose

--
vda