Uninstalling BusyBox

Denys Vlasenko vda.linux at googlemail.com
Fri Aug 13 05:02:22 UTC 2010

On Thursday 12 August 2010 18:18, Tom Jeffries wrote:
> Denys,
>
> We're doing some work for a company that is using hardware that has BusyBox
> installed.  We need to uninstall it, and I want to make sure we do that
> without messing anything up.  Is there a simple way to uninstall BusyBox?

busybox is just an executable file. You can certainly remove it:

# rm /bin/busybox

And you're done.

As to "not messins anything up", that is hard to determine.
I'd start by running

# ls /*bin /usr/*bin | grep busybox

and examining the output - all symlinks in [/usr]/[s]bin pointing
to busybox need to be replaced by corresponding "standard" utilities;
or you need to carefully check that a particular link is not needed
and can be safely removed or left dangling.

For example, if your /bin/ifconfig is a link to busybox and you
remove busybox, ifconfig will stop working. If you don't use ifconfig,
it's not a problem. If you do use it, then you need to install
some other implementation of ifconfig instead.
--
vda