Some questions about mdev

Alexander Griesser support at agits.at
Thu Aug 12 15:19:03 UTC 2010

Hey there,

I’m using the latest busybox version (1.17.1) and have a few questions:
I’m using mdev and whenever I repartition a harddisk during an install
script, I have to run `mdev –s` manually after having partitioned the
harddisk, otherwise the device file for the partition is not
available.

So let’s say I want to create a partition on /dev/sda, the device file
for /dev/sda is here of course because mdev caught that during bootup,
but when I do then create a new partition using fdisk, /dev/sda1 hasn’t
been created automatically so I have to run `mdev –s` so this file gets
created, then I can put a filesystem on the partition.

Is that by design or am I missing something here? I have added mdev to
the kernel hotplug mechanism by doing that (of course):

echo /sbin/mdev >/proc/sys/kernel/hotplug

Another problem ist hat the DRM device nodes below /dev/dri are not
created automatically by mdev, when I f.ex. `modprobe i915`, I can see
that the kernel hotplug mechanism calls mdev, but the files necessary
for running with hardware acceleration (namely /dev/dri/card0 and
/dev/dri/controlD64) are not created automatically. If I create them by
hand before starting the X server, hardware acceleration works,
otherwise it just says it can’t find the device files.

I could, of course, create the device files manually, but that doesn’t
really cure the problem because the ati driver f.ex. has different
device file names, major and minor numbers, so I’m looking for a
real fix here.

Regards,
Alex