ntpd applet

Denys Vlasenko vda.linux at googlemail.com
Wed Aug 11 03:17:12 UTC 2010

On Tuesday 10 August 2010 13:17, beebee at piments.com wrote:
> On 08/10/10 04:58, Denys Vlasenko wrote:
> > -N "nice myself"
> >     is not documented because user can simply use nice to the same effect
> >     (but -N does work)
>
> then shouldn't be documented?
>
> the fact the user could work around it's _apparent_ absence , does not
> seem like a reason to not document a working feature.

No, the reason is to not bloat --help with non-essential information.

> implying it is not there is a documentation error. When porting or
> debugging a situation that works on full linux it is important to know
> what does or does not need changing. Accurate doc is essential.

I imagine things are usually ported by trying to run stuff
and fixing what breaks, not by review of every script line-by-line.

ntpd -N wouldn't break, despite being undocumented, it'll work,
thus making porting a bit easier.

> If you are saying the feature is useless/unnecessary then maybe remove
> it and save a few bytes.

This will break ntpd -N.

> Either way the current situation would seem to be in error.

ok.

http://git.busybox.net/busybox/commit/?id=f03fc7d77a5df53aae5eb2d02a49860dc2878da7

--
vda