iplink: support add/delete

Oliver Metz Oliver.Metz at fswiwi.org
Thu Aug 5 20:20:36 UTC 2010

Hi,
since this commit (http://git.busybox.net/busybox/commit/?id=6faebfa663fd008fa28f0d69d0663fe80675ebec) busybox doesn't compile with older kernels anymore. I didn't figure out the exact version.
We are running busybox on an embedded mipsel router and can't update to a newer kernel version because we have binary only modules from the vendor. Our kernel versions are 2.6.13.1 and 2.6.19.2.

  CC      networking/libiproute/ipaddress.o
  CC      networking/libiproute/iplink.o
  CC      networking/libiproute/iproute.o
networking/libiproute/ipaddress.c: In function 'print_linkinfo':
networking/libiproute/ipaddress.c:167: error: 'IFLA_OPERSTATE' undeclared (first use in this function)
networking/libiproute/ipaddress.c:167: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
networking/libiproute/ipaddress.c:167: error: for each function it appears in.)
networking/libiproute/iplink.c: In function 'do_change':
networking/libiproute/iplink.c:336: error: 'IFLA_LINKINFO' undeclared (first use in this function)
networking/libiproute/iplink.c:336: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
networking/libiproute/iplink.c:336: error: for each function it appears in.)
networking/libiproute/iplink.c:337: error: 'IFLA_INFO_KIND' undeclared (first use in this function)
make[2]: *** [networking/libiproute/ipaddress.o] Error 1

Is there a way to disable this add/delete support for older kernels so that we are able to compile busybox with ip applet again? Or is there an alternative piece of code for this?

Regards
Oliver

p.s. Since it's three days ago that I tried to mail this issue the first time meanwhile another dev of the project committed the following patch to remove the new feature:
http://trac.freetz.org/browser/trunk/make/busybox/patches/903-ip_older_kernels.patch?rev=5409