grep -w not available or config issue on my part?

Christopher Barry christopher.barry at rackwareinc.com
Sun Apr 25 18:49:11 UTC 2010

On Sun, 2010-04-25 at 18:42 +0200, Denys Vlasenko wrote:
> On Friday 23 April 2010 21:15, Christopher Barry wrote:
> > Hi everyone.
> >
> > I've upgraded to v1.16.1, and grep appears to no longer have the '-w'
> > option. I have every option in the menuconfig checked in the 'finding
> > utilities' section, not sure what I'm doing wrong. Below are the outputs
> > of grep --help in both versions.
> >
> > Anyone have any ideas about what I may not be configuring correctly?
>
> You (perhaps accidentally) switched off DESKTOP option.

DESKTOP option adds extra functionality to grep?? Wow. Is that really on
purpose? I'm not building BB for a desktop scenario, so I definitely
switched that off - in fact I never even looked in there, as I just
assumed, as it's name certainly implies, that it was a bunch of extra,
unneeded, desktopy fluff.

Curious, why are additional grep parameters hidden in a completely
unrelated option group? Seems like 'Finding Utilities' was already
available (and indeed has the other grep options), and would be the
logical location for that kind of thing. Is having grep isolate on word
boundaries, a core functionality of grep I would argue, related to a
DESKTOP in some way that I'm simply not grokking?

-C