networking with busybox

Katharina Haselhorst brandlk at Mathematik.Uni-Marburg.de
Sat Apr 24 20:50:39 UTC 2010

Hello,

>> No, I can't ping any machine on the same subnet. The kernel should be ok,
>> it is the same kernel I usually use for starting xen domains. Since it's a
>> xen kernel, I assume, that the network modules and the drivers for the xen
>> interface cards are already built into the kernel. Atm, I have nothing but
>> the busybox binary and a custom init in the initramfs. I can ping the lo
>> interface, but once starting udhcpc on eth0, it gets stuck at "Sending
>> discover...". Udevd is running, but dmesg dosn't show anything network
>> related.
>
> Are you using paravirtualization or full virtualization?
> How does your xen config looks like? What kind of networking do you
> use to communicate from guest to host? Can you upload a dmesg from
> the busybox system? How do you start the kernel from xen dom0?

I use a paravirtualized environment. Communication between dom0 and
domUs goes through the xen bridge. With a normal setup (kernel + disk
image containing a linux distribution) everything works fine - so xen
networking works without problems. In the current setup, I boot into a
custom initramfs, which atm does only contain the statically linked
busybox binary and an init starting an ash and doing some
initialization. And at that stage I need a running network setup -
that's where I'm stuck.
The dmesg output is in the attachement.
I start the kernel with help of the xen-tool's xm command (xm create)
and pass the kernel, the ramfs image, hostname, vif, etc. via commandline.

K. Haselhorst