NAND Write operations

Charles Manning manningc2 at actrix.gen.nz
Mon Apr 12 22:06:19 UTC 2010

You'd probably do far better to ask questions like this on the linux-mtd list
or similar.

I'm the author of the yaffs file system, so I can answer some of your
questions though.

Pretty much all flash file systems or flash management layers such as UBI
perform at least some degree of wear levelling. This means that there is some
sort of logical to physical, or other, policy so that the writes don't happen
in the same place. That means those writes to a certain file will end up
being spread across many different blocks, thus meaning that writes to one
particular file won't wear out one part of flash.

And yes, the endurance depends on the type of flash. Some are of the order of
10^6, some are only 10^3.

Worst I've seen is 10^2, but that was for a "bootloader" section and not
designated for file usage.

-- CHarles