portability improvements for non-Linux systems

Jérémie Koenig jk at jk.fr.eu.org
Mon Apr 5 10:27:13 UTC 2010

2010/3/30 Rob Landley <rob at landley.net>:
> It's really up to Denys, but... why Hurd?  I honestly don't understand why
> anyone, anywhere, would care about that project anymore.

I won't push for Hurd-specific code to be included in BusyBox; these
changes could be confined to the Debian package as far as
debian-installer is concerned. On the other hand, such code would
probably be maintained, out of necessity if nothing else, as long as
the Debian GNU/Hurd effort goes on. Data about the "liveliness" (or
lack thereof) of the hurd-i386 port is collected as part of the Debian
archive qualification process [1].

In any case, I'll try to make my changes as system-agnostic as
possible, and to coordinate my effort with the Debian GNU/kFreeBSD
people. They need BusyBox for debian-installer as well and have their
own patches [2].

[1] http://wiki.debian.org/ArchiveQualification/hurd-i386
[2] http://svn.debian.org/viewsvn/d-i/people/slackydeb/kfreebsd/busybox/1.14/debian/

(Also, for what it's worth, my interest in Hurd is mainly as a piece
of code I'd like to dig into for my own enjoyment -- the grand scheme
of things is not where my focus is at the moment. This being said,
thanks for taking the time to review the alternatives. Minix 3 seems
interesting and I'll be sure to have a look.)

--
Jérémie Koenig <jk at jk.fr.eu.org>
http://jk.fr.eu.org/