fbsplash - text rendering

Denys Vlasenko vda.linux at googlemail.com
Sun Sep 27 01:02:19 UTC 2009

On Saturday 26 September 2009 21:55, Jiří Gabriel wrote:
> > Maybe later. Let's have at least something simpler first.
> >
> > > Command "write:text" -
> > > colorized by \e[30m .. \e[1;37m sequences for console compatibility
> > > and colorize char by char.
> >
> > We'll need ESC parser. Kinda complex.
>
> ESC parser is about 260 bytes and command parameter color parser is about 150 bytes.
> 100 bytes for compatibility with init.d functions (Starting........[ OK ]) where OK is green.

I'm sorry, but I NAK this. At least for now.
We don't have ANY text rendering now.
Let's add something _simple_ first.

Not to mention that whoever invented colorized "Starting........[ OK ]"
stuff wasn't experienced enough to realize that any messages
from starting service will mess up the display:

Starting foo........
foo: bar is fubared, running baz instead
[ OK ]

Great... and I do see this idiotism every time I boot my laptop.
How many hours of admin experience was under the belt of
the "inventor" of it? On his computers, no services,
ever, emit messages?

> > > Need anyone more than 16 colors in splash
> > > texts?
> >
> > Yes, I bet people will want that.
>
> OK \e[R;G;Bm - nonstandard ESC, +10 bytes of code
>
> > > First char of text can be \r - then last text line
> > > is replaced by new one otherwise old text scroll up (when multi
> > > line textbox) and new line is displayed.
> >
> > Maybe later. Let's have at least something simpler first,
> > for example, simple non-wrapping output at any point in the image
> > (the "cursor" goes to the right and off the screen).
> > This is simple(r) to code.
> >
> > > Command can be named
> > > "echo" for intuitive use.For clearing text can be usable
> > > textbox command without parameters.After writing texts,
> > > new use of command textbox always erase old textbox area
> > > and define new.
> >
> > And if user does NOT want to erase text?
>
> New command for permanent (unerasable no rewritable) text output to any position like "put,ROW,COL:text" ?

we have nothing so far.

I really think it's better to start with small changes,
not add a whole bunch of stuff at once.

--
vda