fbsplash - text rendering

Denys Vlasenko vda.linux at googlemail.com
Thu Sep 24 00:24:50 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 22 September 2009 12:11, Alexander Griesser wrote:
> Michele Sanges wrote:
> > In order to introduce the patch that adds the text rendering to the
> > fbsplash applet, I think it is better subdivide the patch into small
> > pieces.
> > I attach a first patch that manages the new parameters (text position;
> > text color; text size); please, take a look and eventually apply it.
> > Then I will send the second part of the patch.
>
> Replying to this old post here: Can someone please really consider
> applying that to trunk? It's a great addon, I just switched from using
> splashy (from Debian) in userspace to fbsplash and missed the text
> feature, applied this patch and everything works perfect.

Not in that form.

Sorry, but just adding any code is not acceptable, or bbox
ends up with unmaintained code like one in e2fsprogs/old_e2fsprogs/*

Code needs not be perfect, but it needs to be "reasonably good".

Since this patch needed too much work to be performed "by email",
I tried to do it locally, but failed (got distracted by other stuff).
My fault.

The attached patch is where I stopped. It is incomplete.

If anyone is willing to work on it, please send patches.

It is a good idea to discuss API _before_ you start working
on implementing it, to prevent redoing the work again when
it needs changes.

Let's discuss "write text" command.

I propose the following format:

"write[#CLR][.ROW[.COL]]:text"

(or "write[,#CLR][,rROW][,cCOL]:text" - it's more extensible?)

It should draw the text _and_ background picture, so that
"write.10.20:HELLO"
...wait few sec...
"write.10.20:     "
would erase HELLO and restore the background.

(Or do we need "erase" cmd to draw background only inside text's pixels?
That would work better if we will ever have proportional font...)

Should it wrap around end of line? end of screen?

Should it understand TAB? BS? CR/LF?

--
vda