tar: corrupted octal value in tar header

Denys Vlasenko vda.linux at googlemail.com
Sun Sep 20 23:31:37 UTC 2009

On Sunday 20 September 2009 23:51, Peter Renzland wrote:
> It appears ironic that Snow Leopard, "The World's most advanced OS",
> has switched to the POSIX tar format, which according to BusyBox
> terminology requires "OLDGNU_COMPATIBILITY".

I do not think that POSIX says that there must be trailing space
in those fields.

It's more likely that whoever was implementing tar
for Snow Leopard just "reused" code from some oldish tar
which was creating such fields, without much thinking why
this old code does that, and whether it makes sense
to continue to do that.

--
vda