show thread as process

Doug Graham dgraham at nortel.com
Thu Sep 17 22:37:32 UTC 2009

Cathey, Jim wrote:
>> make sure it isnt always enabled as this [-H]
>> is a fairly infrequently used option.
>>

> Oddly enough, we wish that our BB had it.  Our main
> process has about 70 threads or so in it.
>
> While you're at it, outfit BB's top with the
> same option!

And as long as we're making requests, perhaps BB's top (and maybe ps?) could
display thread names set with prctl(PR_SET_NAME)?  Very useful for
linuxthreads
at least, where otherwise all the threads within a process show up as
separate processes
all with the name of the executable.  The top included with the procps
package
does this.  I think it gets the name from the second field of
/proc/<pid>/stat.

--Doug