show thread as process

Mike Frysinger vapier at gentoo.org
Thu Sep 17 17:08:55 UTC 2009

On Thursday 17 September 2009 11:04:37 Fabian Meier wrote:

please do not top post in your replies

> Yes, but I have the requirement to make the ps act like on a
> linuxthreads system.

not sure what this sentence is saying.  busybox' ps is currently operating the
same as procps' ps.  the difference you're seeing is in threading library
implementations.

> Well, the original procps has also an "H" option which will show the
>  threads.
>
> http://unixhelp.ed.ac.uk/CGI/man-cgi?ps
>
> THREAD DISPLAY
>
> H		Show threads as if they were processes
>

> I don't know how it is implemented. But I guess it will also parse the
> /proc/<process>/task directory?
> Maybe I should add an "H" option to busybox ps.

yes, as Jim points out, this would be the way to go.  make sure it isnt always
enabled as this is a fairly infrequently used option.
-mike