applet request: shutdown and wall

Natanael Copa natanael.copa at gmail.com
Mon Oct 26 09:48:39 UTC 2009

Hi,

Would be nice to have a shutdown applet and wall applet for compability
reasons.

I'm trying to get apcupsd running for my alpine linux distro (based on
busybox).

I have a few challenges:
1. configure script requries that shutdown applet exists
2. the wall program is missing
3. the control script does not give any option to separate poweroff with
reboot, it just uses $SHUTDOWN -r/-h now. From the case "$1":

   doreboot)
        echo "UPS ${2} initiating Reboot Sequence" | ${WALL}
        ${SHUTDOWN} -r now "apcupsd UPS ${2} initiated reboot"
    ;;
    doshutdown)
        echo "UPS ${2} initiated Shutdown Sequence" | ${WALL}
        ${SHUTDOWN} -h now "apcupsd UPS ${2} initiated shutdown"
    ;;

Now, I can patch this and workaround the missing shutdown, but a "wall"
applet would be nice. and it would actually be nice with a small wrapper
for halt/poweroff/reboot applets for compability reasons.

I know I can easily make it in shell, but in Alpine i give users the
option to install the util-linux-ng in case teh busybox variants are not
good enough. using shell wrappers would cause conflicts for the package
manager, while the busybox links are handled by trigger scripts.

Other ideas?

-nc