patch: buglet and --dry-run

Bernhard Reutner-Fischer rep.dot.nop at gmail.com
Thu Oct 22 21:06:25 UTC 2009

Hi,

I was having trouble with our patch.

It didn't warn about previously applied hunks, like:
$ dmesg | tail | tee mess > mess.orig
$ echo new line >> mess
$ diff -u mess.orig mess > xxx
$ #NOT mv mess.orig mess
$ patch -i xxx

There is -N to allow to skip them (complaining loud).

And we didn't have --dry-run.
I've picked the short-option -z for --dry-run out of the blue to
facilitate !getopt_long usage of patch.

A few points though:
- The size increase is absolutely intolerable.
  (rephrase hunk handling)
- for --dry-run we should just not write anything to dst_stream
  and get rid of any temporary file in due course.

I currently don't have more time for patch, so it would be great if
somebody steps up and either applies it as a fix in it's current state
or look a bit into it before committing it.

thanks,