No m or crypt

Mark Constable markc at renta.net
Sun Oct 18 10:37:43 UTC 2009

Denys Vlasenko wrote:
>> -D"BB_VER=KBUILD_STR(1.16.0.git)" -DBB_BT=AUTOCONF_TIMESTAMP
>> applets/usage_pod.c   m crypt -o applets/usage_pod
>> gcc: m: No such file or directory
>> gcc: crypt: No such file or directory

I'm sure this is an error as "m crypt" should be "-lm -lcrypt".
Even if I have the wrong env vars it should not get into a state
where -l is missing.

> You somehow get HOSTCFLAGS or HOST_EXTRACFLAGS messed up.
> The above command should look like this:

I don't seem to have a HOSTCFLAGS at all.

> What is your version of make?

GNU Make 3.81 (gcc 4.4.1, glibc 2.10.0)

> Does it happen if you clean up environment? Like this:
> env - "PATH=$PATH" make

Yes! If I manually cd into the source dir and use that then it does
seem to build okay. So you are right, something in my environment
is causing the problem when being called from my Archlinux PKGBUILD.

Also, any idea how I can turn off anything to do with generating
docs to avoid this? (I don't have perl on these systems)

Final link with: <none>
  DOC     busybox.pod
  DOC     BusyBox.txt
/bin/sh: pod2text: command not found
make: [docs/BusyBox.txt] Error 127 (ignored)
  DOC     BusyBox.1
/bin/sh: pod2man: command not found
make: [docs/BusyBox.1] Error 127 (ignored)
/bin/sh: pod2html: command not found
make: [docs/busybox.net/BusyBox.html] Error 127 (ignored)
  DOC     BusyBox.html

Thank you for your help Denys.

--markc