"switch_root" not work

薛正华 zhxue at cnic.cn
Fri Oct 16 05:34:30 UTC 2009

Hi, all

I put busybox into a initrd.img (ram disk). After linux kernel starts, it switches root file system to that of initrd.img, and it works well. Now, I want to switch root file system to NFS, and I used the following busybox command in the initrd enviroment.

“exec switch_root /mnt /sbin/init ",

But it prompted usage information  of switch_root, and did not execute the command.

I noticed that switch_root can only be executed by process init, and I put the command "exec switch_root /mnt /sbin/init" into /etc/init.d/rcS, but after linux starts, it still prompts usage information of switch_root, and did not switch to my new root file system.

who can help me?

Thank you.

Best Regards,
Zhenghua Xue