Query on usage of busybox sendmail

sujith sankar sujithsankar2 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 14 17:51:32 UTC 2009

Hi all,

I am trying to use busybox sendmail to send emails periodically from
Linux running on a development board to a remote PC (which is running
conventional sendmail) in the same network.  The version of busybox
that is being used is 1.14.3.  The command which was tried out to do
this is as follows.

echo 'my message' | sendmail -S abcserver -f sender at abcserver receiver at abcserver

The mail reaches abcserver, but does not get delivered.
/var/log/maillog in abcserver says that the input channel to MTA has
been lost.  I tried searching in the net, but could not find the
actual reason for this.  Many of the posts related to such
observations say that this is because the client is not closing the
connection properly.

Using utilities like mailx, I am able to send mails from other
machines in the network to abcserver.  Also, I'm able to send mails if
I do telnet abcserver 25.  This doesn't even require authentication
with username and password.

It would be great if someone could guide me on the following.
1. Isn't it possible to use busybox sendmail for the above mentioned
requirement?
2. If yes, what kind of modification should I make in the command?

Thanks,
-Sujith