mke2fs

Vladimir Dronnikov dronnikov at gmail.com
Thu Oct 8 14:59:59 UTC 2009

> No, it was not "this way". mke2fs was put into busybox
> _without_ much effort of shrinking it.

I see.

>> One has to build vanilla e2fsprogs which tend to inflate more and
>> more. A bare ext2 filesystem seems not so hard to generate, it's just
>> me who doesn't feel comfortable when dealing with
>> inodes/superblocks/fragments and so on...
>
> Who's going to make it stable then?

Those who are more fluent in _filesystems_, I guess.
To outline an algorythm, plus a couple of _understandable_ docu on the
subj would help much.
So far I only saw manuals on, e.g. how EXT2 keeps files, level of
indirection and other _irrelevant_ to the subj, and distracting from
the main goal topics.
If there are _no_ files to store, no need to implement that stuff.

How to choose default numbers and counters for fs, and how to create
_empty_ fs with just ., .., and lost+found -- that is missing.

--
Vladimir