busybox-1.14.3 compilation with uClibc

Denys Vlasenko vda.linux at googlemail.com
Wed Oct 7 10:59:10 UTC 2009

On Wed, Oct 7, 2009 at 12:22 PM, Sushil Kumar <sushil_tux at yahoo.com> wrote:

> GCC Version             :       4.1.1
> Busybox                 :       Busybox-1.14.3
> uClibc                  :       uClibc-0.9.29
>
> My requirement is to compile the above busybox using the uClibc
> C library instead of native glibc.I have compiled uClibc with native native
>
> gcc toolchain but not installed.

I don't know whether this is even supported.
(If it is, please someone give me an URL to RTFM).

I know that with some amount of hacking in Makefiles et al
it is usually possible to build something against uclibc,
but this would be an unsupported hack which works only
with _this_ version of gcc/glibc/uclibc. You update your gcc
and it suddenly does not work anymore, or worse:
it silently miscompiles your binaries.

On the other hand, croos-compiling is _the_ way to do it.
Compiling against a different libc is just a subset
of a more generic task of compiling against
different (CPU arch, kernel, libc), and _that_
is used by so many people it has to work
(i.e. when it breaks, it gets fixed, fast).

This is how I do it:

http://busybox.net/~vda/HOWTO/i486-linux-uclibc/HOWTO.txt

Rob's "Firmware Linux" may be even better thing to try:

http://landley.net/code/firmware/

since he is actively maintains it.

--
vda