busybox-1.14.3 compilation with uClibc

Sushil Kumar sushil_tux at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 7 10:22:13 UTC 2009

GCC Version             :       4.1.1
Busybox                 :       Busybox-1.14.3
uClibc                  :       uClibc-0.9.29

My requirement is to compile the above busybox using the uClibc
C library instead of native glibc.I have compiled uClibc with native native
gcc toolchain but not installed.

In the earlier version of Busybox-1.01, I changed the variable
LIBCDIR:=../../uCibc-0.9.29 (that's where my uclibc is relative
to busybox directory, in the Rules.mak file and it compiled successfully.

However, in the Busybox-1.14.3, the Makefile is more complex and I
am unable to find the relevant places where I should make changes to
include the uClibc directory so that busybox should compile using it.

What I have found that at the time of linking, the busybox uses
scripts/trylink to find which C Library it should use to produce the
busybox library.

I need to know which files/variable needs to be changed to use uClibc as
the C library to link with instead of native glibc in /usr/lib.

Please let me know if you need any more information about my setup to resolve
the isssue.  (I do not want to go through "buildroot" tool)
.