inotifyd - possible memory leak?

Piotr Grudzinski piotr at powersmiths.com
Mon Nov 16 20:37:23 UTC 2009

> inotifyd is very simple. It has exactly one allocation,
> which usually does not trigger. From code inspection
> it is properly freed.

Just for test I rebuild bb-1.13.1 with inotifyd.c from bb-1.15.2
It runs OK. So, inotifyd must be fine.

> However, each inotify event runs a program to handle
> the event.

I do have 3 inotifyd processes.
The first - waits for some file.
The second waits for file created by the script called by first inotifyd and
calls wget program (not from bb).
The third is triggered by the file created by wget program above.

> Are you sure it's not just fragmentation?
> NOMMU systems are prone to it.

With bb-1.15.2 my system looses 40K to 52K of RAM as reported by the free
command.
bb-1.13.1 looses nothing. The problem seems to be related to bb-1.15.2
I am running hush shell.

Regards,
Piotr