An example mdev.conf

Natanael Copa natanael.copa at gmail.com
Tue Nov 10 15:46:25 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-11-09 at 20:46 -0600, Rob Landley wrote:

> I note that Natanael's
> http://git.alpinelinux.org/cgit/aports/tree/main/busybox-initscripts/mdev.conf
> had this:
>
> ram([0-9]*)	root:disk 0660 >rd/%1
> loop([0-9]+)	root:disk 0660 >loop/%1
>
> But I dunno if that's standard or if he patched it.

I didnt patch. Its a feature thats been around for some time. The
regexes was introduced by Vladimir Dronnikov iirc. I had more helper
scripts but the extended syntax reduced the need for lots of them

http://www.mail-archive.com/busybox@busybox.net/msg03861.html

> > My usage mainly covers the HTC Wizard phone running Xfbdev (small
> > community). The AML-M8050 (Nobody really). A beagle board and some other
> > HTC phone that another dude uses.
>
> *shrug*
>
> Yeah, but at least _you_ use it, which is something.

Alpine Linux have used it for years. Last time i tried provide udev as
optional replacement i got caught into a move of libbuuid/libblkid from
e2fsprogs to util-linux-ng. I ended up stick to mdev which have worked
without any problems. (only reason i wanted udev was for hotplugging
input devices for xorg)

Alpine Linux is used for VPN's, firewalls, lightweight servers
(lighttpd, php, postgresql), mail gateways, voip boxes (asterisk,
kamailio) and other crazy stuff like iscsi targets and vserver hosts.

I have got xfce, midori, claws-mail, xchat, geany and other basic
desktop apps running as well so now its starting to become a pretty
useful general purpose distro, based on uclibc+busybox.

Even if we dont have a big community (slowly growing) we do have some
users.

So there are pretty many more than solar using mdev ;)

-nc