mdev usbdisk hot plugging issue

Mon Nov 9 14:16:21 UTC 2009

Hi,
I am using busybox 1.11.2 with linux-2.6.23 on the davinci platform.
I have setup mdev to _hotplug usb disks.
if i connect a usb disk to the system after it has been booted, mdev
correctly picks up on the device and mounts it through my _hotplug script.
However, if i connect the usb disk before booting the system, then
mdev does not
call the _hotplug script. The device node exists in the /dev/ tree,
but it appears mdev
does not detect the usb disk and call the _hotplug script.

Here is my init script for mdev (snippet)

--- SNIPPET START ---
mount -t tmpfs mdev /dev
mkdir /dev/pts
mount /dev/pts
mount /sys
mount /proc
echo "/sbin/mdev" > /proc/sys/kernel/hotplug
mdev -s
--- END OD SNIPPET ---

I was expecting that when `mdev -s` was called, the hot plugging of the
usb disk would occur. But right now this does not seem to be the case (for me).

Please advice.

Regards
~Sameer